Hembrug DrillPress BoorKolom PillarDrill
Boor-kolum, Drill press with adjustable speed (the small wheel on the left of the machine).
This is the heavier, 3-phase (Krachtstroom), version in the metal shop; there is a lighter version in the woodarea.
Cutting wood in the metal area is fine. Cutting metal in the wood area is frowned upon. If you do so - de-grease the machine/plateau post use !
- Handle for up/down of the head. Clockwise for down; Counterclockwise for up. Do not forget to (un)tighten handle 9.
- Handle for the speed.
- Hole through which you can see the current speed. The lower number is for "speed I" the high number for 'speed 2" (they are exactly 2x apart).
- Speed switch;; 0 is off, 1 is low speed and 2 is twice as fast.
- The normal on/off switches; prevents the machine from switching on spontaneously after a power failure -and- enforce a current limit/emergency stop.
- Emergency button. Do not use as an on-off button !
- Limiters for the travel
- Small scale; which you can adjust to see the travel in mm.
- Handle to lock vertical travel.
- Keyless drill chuck (taper not yet measures)
The drill press is classed as a normal, somewhat dangerous machine: instructions strongly advised but not mandatory. It can be used any hours -- but be kind to our neighbours.
Use of safety glasses will generally be needed. And the use of gloves is possible; but a mixed blessing. It increases the risk of your glove (and with it your finger) getting twisted around the drill/rotating head.
Its main risks are flying sharp bits, getting caught in something rotating or your workpiece rotating/spinning.
So clamp things well.
Speed is adjusted with the wheel.
Speeds and oil (metal)
There is a chart of speeds on the wall -- or see http://engineering.ucdavis.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/lathespeeds.pdf
The larger your drill diameter - the lower the speed (Alu faster than steel faster than stainlesssteel/rvs); but limit countersinks/counterbores/stepdrills and similar `specials' to 200-300RPM.
There are three types of oil next to the machine. For most metals use the green oil.
Use the non-ferro oil if you find that the green oil stains your aluminiun/non-ferro metal (this is quite rare).
The third oil is generally not suitable to use with this drill press.
A safety relay was added; with a 4-6 amp current limiters along with an emergency stop button. Normal ground/earth wiring was added.
The current rotary switch does NOT allow for a switch-on block when in the wrong position. We need to find a replacement switch.
Likely [dalander switched]. We do not have a NC on the 'off' to prevent start when on.
Location and ownership
Located in the metal shop. On loan; Dirk-Willem van Gulik
|Q3/2021||On loan; safety relay and button added.|