The Makerspace has two 3D printers:
- Ultimaker 2 +
- Ultimaker 2 Extended +
Both printer are operated the same. This manual is applicable to both printers.
Manual and procedures
- Software for designing and converting .stl files to printable GCODE files
- Ultimaker Documentation
- Ultimaker Manuals
Characteristics of the printers
|Property||Ultimaker 2+||Ultimaker 2 Extended +|
|Max. size [mm]||223x223x205||223x223x305|
|Nozzle size||0.25, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8||0.25, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8|
See Materials for description of materials which can be printed
|Printing temperature||-||250 °C||-|
|Printing table temp.||-||110 °C||-|
|Printing speed||60 mm/s||25 mm/s||-|
Printing on the Ultimaker 2 + or Ultimaker 2 Extended +
To print a 3D model:
- Prepare the GCODE file and copy it to a SD card
- Enter the SD card into the SD card reader
- Prepare the print table for printing, apply
- glue (for PLA) or
- painters tape (for ABS)
- Switch on Ultimaker on the back side of the machine
- Change material:
- To change material or the enter material in to the printer, choose Material in the main menu
- Choose Change. The machine heats up and first will remove existing material
- Choose Ready once material is removed
- Feeding new Material
- Feed new material on the back side of the UltiMaker
- Choose Ready once the material is transported through the tube. The material will be transported to the nozzle.
- Wait till material flows through nozzle and confirm by selecting Ready
- Return to main menu by selection Return
- Print model
- Select Print
- Choose model you like to print. The printer heats up to the required temperature.
- Once the nozzle and print table are at the required temperature, the printer will start.
- Printer releases small amount of filament through the nozzle
- The printer starts printing
- The display shows the expected time for the print
- Print ready
- Allow the printer table to cool down. Too early removal of the print may damage the print
- Remove the print from the print table
- Clean the printer table when required (remove glue / painter tape)
- Remove the Filament from the printer by executing step 3 of this procedure
- Once the filament is removed, switch off the print with the switch on the backside of the printer
- Store filament in the appropriate location
The two white Ultimaker 3D printers are one of the few machines that can run unattended/during the night (this is a big no-no for virtually every other machines) provided that the following rules are followed:
- Only on the 2 ultimaker 3D printers
- Only with Ultimaker approved/listed material (e.g. normal PLA, etc with normal settings)
- You must stay with the printer for the first 10 layers or 15 minutes or so.
- You must accept that another member removes your print when it is finished (or failed).
- You should plan to remove your print soon (i.e. next morning).
- You are encouraged to leave a note with your name or email address.
And make sure you have enough PLA on the spool and check that it won't tangle as it unrolls.
Releasing clocked material from nozzle
Over time filament will block the nozzle. to clean the nozzle follow the following steps:
- Remove remaning filament
- Get a 30cm of Nylon filament and straighten it as much as possible
- Remove the blue horshoe clip underneath the white coupling
- Remove the filament tube out of the print head, while holding the white coupling
- Select in the main menu Advanced
- Select Heatup Nozzle
- Raise the nozzle temperature to 260 degrees
- Once on right temperature, insert the straightened piece of filament in the nozzle
- Set the temperature to 90 degrees and wait for the printer to reach this temperature
- Pull out the filament, be aware may require substantial force
- Repeat this process as often as required
See Maintenance Ultimaker 2+ for detailed descriptions on maintenance.
Recommended maintenance schedule
To keep your Ultimaker 2+ in optimal condition we recommend the following maintenance schedule, based on 1,500 printing hours per year:
|Every month||Every three months||Every Year|
|Clean Printer||Check for plays on axels||Clean feeder and replace Bowden tube|
|Lubricate axles||Check for tension of short belts|
|Lubricate lead screw Z moto|
|Re-tighten hot end isolator|